Cyborg She / Boku no kanojo wa saibôgu (2008)

Discussion in 'Asian General Cinema' started by Harmcore, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Harmcore Guest

Cyborg She / Boku no kanojo wa saibôgu (2008)

A teaser trailer for Jae-yong Kwak's Cyborg She (Boku no kanojo wa saibôgu) was added to the official website for the movie a couple of days ago. The movie stars Haruka Ayase (she also stars in Fumihiko Sori's upcoming Ichi) and Keisuke Koide.

Here's a synopsis for Cyborg She from the production: "One day, a beautiful cyborg girl appears in front of a dull university student. Even though the cyborg starts to like him, she can't truly feel emotions, so the boy has no choice but to say goodbye to her inhuman power and 'violence'. Missing her, he continues his lonely existence. Some time thereafter, a disastrous earthquake hits Tokyo, and the cyborg girl saves his life. In that moment, she starts to have feelings like a real human being."

Cyborg She official website (w/ teaser trailer)

Cyborg She flyer (JPEG)

Ichi official subsite (w/ teaser trailer)
  2. Harmcore Guest

A second teaser trailer for Cyborg She has just replaced the first one on the official website for the movie.

Cyborg She is scheduled to have its world première at the Yubari International Fantastic Film Festival (Yûbari Kokusai Fantasutikku Eigasai) - "YIFFF" for short - in Hokkaido, Japan on March 20th.

Here's an "introduction" to Cyborg She from the YIFFF website: "This is a touching and heart-rending love story by Kwak Jae-Yong, the director of 'My Sassy Girl' (2001) and 'Windstruck' (2004) which were both big hits not only in Korea but also in Japan. The story, told by a timid, unreliable first-person narrator about his relationship with his pretty but powerful girlfriend, is set in Japan and was filmed with an all-Japanese cast. ¶ A lonesome college student, Jiro, is spending his 20th birthday alone, when suddenly, a beautiful girl turns up. The few hours that he spends with her are the most incredible moments of his life and Jiro is overwhelmed by his good-fortune in meeting her. But his happiness does not last for long since she disappears as suddenly as she had appeared. A year later, on his 21st birthday, Jiro runs into her again. At least she looks the same, but this time she is somehow different... It is the beginning of a love that would change his life forever... ¶ Haruka Ayase, who starred in 'Hotaru no Hikari' (Glow of Fireflies), gives a superb performance as the cyborg girlfriend, and Keisuke Koide, star of 'Kisaragi', plays the role of the kind-hearted Jiro."

Cyborg She official website (w/ 2nd teaser trailer)

YIFFF: Cyborg She
  3. Harmcore Guest

A theatrical trailer for Cyborg She has replaced the second teaser trailer on the official website for the movie.

Bogeydom Licensing is the international sales agent for Cyborg She.

Cyborg She official website (w/ theatrical trailer)
  4. thumper2 Brundlefly

Mod's edit: We do not allow discussion of where to illegally obtain movies
  5. splatterman Guest

i watched this the other day and loved it! despite it being marketed as a rom-com (which i hate!) this was right up there.
    i had just finished watching I'm a Cyborg and was craving more and now i prefer this one.
    despite some cheesy moments, this had loads of laughs, action and of course romance. also a great role from takenaka naoto (sorry if i mispelled his name)
    i'm not great at summing up movies but this is seriously worth watching.
    i just picked up the DVD as it also has a making of so i might indulge in that tonight.
  6. splatterman Guest

also, Haruka Ayase is mega fine in this.
    another reason to watch it.
  7. pdn Guest

I'm planning on watching this in the next couple of days so it's good to
    hear positive things about it. Cheers Splatterman!
  8. splatterman Guest

cool, let me know what you think. i was supprised how little this has been talked about, both here and on imdb.
    once i've watched the 'making of' i'll update you on that too.
  9. pdn Guest

I'd mostly agree with splatterman on this one.
    It's occasionally overly sentimental (the trip to the hero's hometown really
    ladles on the treacle), has a couple of endings too many and could have done
    with losing about fifteen minutes from its two hour running time.
    But the good stuff definitely outweighs the bad. It's very funny at times,
    especially during the first half. Keisuke Koide is great as the main actor, he
    has one of those comedically expressive faces that you can't help but laugh
    at. And God damn but Haruka Ayase is one gorgeous looking woman....
    she, erm, gives a good performance too. The special effects are great (yes,
    special effects in a rom-com), and there are some fun Terminator references.
    The use of sound is quite clever too
    The cyborg's footsteps are accompanied
    by a bit of a thump on the soundtrack so as to give the illusion of weight,
    except during the opening part of the film. I thought that this was just a
    mistake at first until one of the twists at the end makes it clear that it was
    very much deliberate.

A good rom-com for people who don't like rom-coms.
  10. splatterman Guest

indeed! also, i thought the dance scene was a bit too cheesy and predictable for my liking.
    While i'm still in my Haruka Ayase mood, i'm going to watch Ichi tonight.
  11. pdn Guest

I found Ichi a bit disappointing. She's not bad, it's more a fault of poor
    scripting and direction. And, I hate to say it, but I wasn't too fond of
    (the normally flawless) Lisa Gerrard's score either.
  12. splatterman Guest

i watched the bonus features on the UK DVD of Cyborg She.
    really worth checking out of you're a fan of the film, there's 2 really interesting 'making of's' , interviews, premier footage, Q&A's, and also the usual trailer and tv spot stuff.
    in the behind the scenes parts it really looked like they had a great time filming his, except when the main actor lost consciousness doing one of the stunts!
    also the director gets his upcomance for sending our hero face first through 3 cakes.

if you like the film, check the extras.
  13. Troika Dead From The Kneck Up

I'm expecting this in the post any day now so I'll probably be posting my thoughts on it soon :)
  14. splatterman Guest

cool! looking forward to it.
    i need to watch this one again soon. so good.
  15. Really enjoyed this film - it's a light hearted watch with a little bit of everything - nice that it doesn't go too far with the sex with a robot sort of thing that some animes have had the tendency of doing in the past

i actually got a little emotional at the end which was a little odd :)
  16. Midori no Saru Invoker of Azarak

I really liked this film I loved the bit with the birthday cake!
  17. splat!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!